So, it seems Alexis Sanchez is off to Manchester City – if not this month, then certainly at the end of the season – but the move appears more likely to ensue this January with the Premier League runaway leaders reportedly in talks with the Gunners over a transfer fee both clubs will be happy to make a deal with.
It looked inevitable to happen with the Chilean striker’s current deal at the Emirates set to expire over the summer and no signs of him committing his long-term future to the Gunners.
Arsene Wenger has admitted that no contact has been made from City about Sanchez, but he’s not fooling anyone. It’s going to happen.
Arsenal want £35million for Sanchez, while City are willing (for now at least) to offer £25million. In any case, £25-35million will push the deal over the line, and many are asking who they will potentially replace Sanchez with. A few names have been mentioned, none more so than Monaco’s Thomas Lemar. Riyad Mahrez of Leicester City has also been mentioned. But the latest is Boca Juniors Cristian Pavon.
Pavon is not a name many Arsenal fans will be familiar with, including myself.
So here are six things you should know about the latest reported Arsenal target to replace Sanchez:
1. Pavon is a versatile 21-year-old forward who can play on either flank or as the main striker.
2. He has been with Argentine club Boca Juniors since 2014 where he has made a total of 51 appearances and scored 14 goals.
3. Pavon is an Argentinian international. He made his national debut in Argentina’s 1-0 victory over Russia on November 11th last year coming on as a late substitute.
4. The young forward is contracted to Boca Juniors until summer 2022 and is believed to have a £27million release clause.
5. The media have likened Pavon countryman Angel Di Maria due to his pace and versatility.
6. Arsenal are not the only ones keeping an eye on the Argentine starlet, Scouts from leading clubs such as Inter Milan, Juventus, Manchester City, Liverpool and Paris Saint-Germain are all believed to be watching him.