Arsenal are unlikely to sign Barcelona midfielder Andre Gomes in the January transfer window after Barca manager Ernesto Valverde intervened in the club’s attempts to sell the Portuguese star, reports Mundo Deportivo.
Spanish publication Don Balon reported last month that Gomes was to be used in the Catalan club’s offer for Mesut Ozil in January, but Mundo Deportivo journalists Sergi Sole and Fernando Polo say that Valverde told the Barca hierarchy on Monday 27th November that they should not sell the midfielder.
The Barcelona manager met with chiefs Pep Segura and Oscar Grau to discuss transfer plans for the January transfer window, and he told them that Gomes should not be sold, unless they bring in a direct replacement.
The Barca board are still planning to make another bid for Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho as well, and they are working out ways they can recoup some of the money they would spend on the Brazilian. Valverde was explicit in stating that they should look elsewhere if they want to sell players, which means the Arsenal rumours surrounding Gomes can be put to bed.