There has been a lot of talk and speculation over the future of a Norwegian wonderkid by the name of Martin Odegaard.
A host of top European clubs, including Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Arsenal, are highly interested in the 15-year-old who has been dubbed by the Norwegian media as ‘the new Lionel Messi’
But who exactly is Odegaard, and why is there so much hype surrounding this teenage sensation?
Well here are EIGHT things you should know about this much-talked about youngster:
1. Odegaard is an attacking midfielder who currently plays for Stromsgodset IF and has already been capped three times for the Norwegian national side.
2. He is currently the youngest ever player to score a goal in the Tippeligaen, netting the fourth goal in Stromsgodset IF’s 4-1 win over Sarpsborg 08 FF on May 16th this year.
3. At the age of 15 years and 300 days, Odegaard became the youngest player to ever feature in a European Championship qualifier.
4. The Norway international made 23 appearances (15 of which were starters) for Stromsgodset IF this season, scoring five goals and creating four, and won the Tippeligaen Young Player of the Year award.
5. International team-mate Morten Gamst Pedersen described Odegaard as the most talented youngsters he’s ever seen: ‘For his age he is unbelievable – his knowledge of the game is unbelievable and his technical skills are fantastic.’
6. Odegaard has been dubbed by the Norwegian media at ‘the new Messi’, not only because of his stature, but because of the technical ability, trickery and vision he possesses.
7. It is believed Arsenal, Liverpool, Bayern, Manchester United and Real are all chasing the youngster, who many consider is a world-class midfielder in the making.
8. According to reports, Odegaard has had trials at Liverpool and Arsenal recently but it is thought Bayern are favourites to land him.
Here is a video of him in action. Enjoy