With three Premier League clubs reportedly tracking Caen youngster M’Baye Niang, I think it’s only appropriate that we look at the French youth who recently had a trial at Arsenal.
So here are 10 things you should know about Niang:
1. M’Baye Babacar Niang was born on the 19th of December 1994 in Meulan, France.
2. Niang started his football career at the tender age of seven playing for local side Basse-Seine Les Mureaux, where he spent two years before he was spotted by amateur club Poissy.
3. It was at Poissy that word of the youngster spread and lead to Caen expressing an interest and after a short trial, the French club signed him at the age of 13.
4. At Caen Niang immediately showed what he was capable of doing, scoring a hat-trick during his trial. By the age of 15 he was competing at an Under-19 level for the club.
5. In December 2009 Niang received his first international call up at Under-16 level. He played six games at this level, netting three goals along the way. There was no doubting that Caen had placed there hopes on Niang being a diamond for them but was quickly drawing attention from other clubs.
Let’s take a look at some highlights of him in one of his matches:
6. On the 18th of February 2011, Niang signed his first professional contract with Caen, a deal which would potentially keep him at the club until 2014.
7. He made his professional debut on the 24th of April, coming on in the second half as a substitute. He was handed the number 9 shirt. He became the youngest ever player to appear for Caen at the age of 16 years and 114 days old.
8. It was on the 7th of May that saw him net his first goal for the French outfit as the club drew 1-1 against Lens – this made him the second youngest player to score in Ligue 1.
9. It was reported that at the start of the 2011/12 season Tottenham had made an offer of €8 million for the player, which was turned down.
10. Currently, Niang has made 30 appearances for Caen and has scored 5 goals. However, it is looking likely that his future lies away from France as the player himself has expressed a desire to leave and has recently had a trial at Arsenal, with both Manchester City and Tottenham said to be looking to do the same thing.
Like what you read? Then follow me on Twitter – http://twitter.com/UKVampire
Visit and Join our Facebook page, click HERE to do so.
Gunnersphere is currently looking for new writers to join the squad. Contact via twitter or at Gunnersphere@snack-media.com for further details.