Yann M’Vila recently announced his desire to play under Arsene Wenger. As a result of this we take a look at some things you may need to know about the French midfielder who could be making his way to Arsenal this summer:
1. Yann M’Vila plays for French side Rennes in Ligue 1 as a defensive midfielder. He was born on the 29th of June 1990.
2. The Frenchman started his career aged 6 at Sains-Saint-Fussien, where he spent three years before joining the biggest club in his area, Amiens SC. He spent a further five years playing at the soccer school his father help establish.
3. M’Vila had a brief stint at FC Mantes; he admitted he had forgotten his dream of playing professional football, but six months later, after a visit from a Rennes coach, he jumped at the chance of signing for them.
4. Within two years of being in the youth side, he was called up to the French Under-16 side. Then at the end of the 2006/07 season, he signed his first professional contract, which was a three year deal with the side.
5. Having continued to progress through the French Under-17 and Under-18 ranks his dream of being a professional footballer was well on the way to being realised.
Let’s take a break and look at the guy in action, unfortunately the video was rather presumptive and was assuming we would have signed him in January:
6. The 2008-2009 season saw him spend most of the time playing for the reserves team as friction developed and his dedication was questioned by then manager Guy Lacombe. However, after his departure and following from an impressive time playing for the French Under-19 side, new manager Frederic Antonetti said he would feature heavily in the upcoming season.
7. His Rennes debut came on the 80th minute, coming on as a sub against Nice. A week later he made his first start against Marseille, and then sadly he was given his first red card in a match against Lens. Coming back from suspension he never lost his place and broke into the regular first-team.
8. In September 2009, the midfielder signed an extension to his contract to keep him at the side until June 2013. This would be a mark of things to come after he signed two more contract extensions eventually keeping him at the club until 2015.
9. He was linked, during 2010, with a move to either Liverpool or Real Madrid. However, M’Vila opted to stay at Rennes where he went on to be included in the Team of the Year, losing out on Player of the Year to Mamadou Sakho of PSG.
10. It was also 2010 that saw M’Vila break into the senior side for France in a match against Luxembourg on the 25th of March 2011. He completed an amazing 92.5% of 134 passes, which broke the record which had stood since 2006. He scored his first senior international goal on the 2nd of September 2011 in a 2-1 win in the Euro qualifier against Albania.
Like what you read? Then follow me on Twitter – http://twitter.com/UKVampire
Visit and Join our Facebook page, click HERE to do so.
Gunnersphere is currently looking for new writers to join the squad. Contact via twitter or at Gunnersphere@snack-media.com for further details.