Out of the blue, Arsenal signed Nacho Monreal from Malaga for an undisclosed on the winter transfer deadline day on Thursday.
But who exactly is he? Many Gooners out there, me included, don’t know squat about the new face at our club.
So here are 8 things you should know about the lad:
1. Nacho Monreal, who stands at 5’11’’, is a 26-year-old Spanish left-back who began his career at Osasuna as a youth product.
2. In 2006, Monreal made the breakthrough to the Osasuna first-team. In the 2007/08 season, the Spaniard became first-choice left back at the Pamplona club until he moved to Malaga in 2011 for €6 million. He made 127 appearances in all competitions for Osasuna, scoring three goals along the way.
3. In 2007, Monreal earned his first cap for the Spain Under-21 side. He started every match in the 2009 European Championship, three in total.
4. He earned his first cap for the Spanish senior side in a friendly game against Macedonia in August 2009. He only played 15 minutes, replacing Joan Capdevila.
5. Since joining the Spanish senior squad, in 2009, Monreal has won nine caps for his country.
6. In his first season at Malaga, Monreal made a total of 33 appearances in all competitions, missing only seven games that campaign.
7. He scored his first and only goal for Malaga on the 27th of January 2013 in a 3-2 away win against Mallorca.
8. After only two seasons at Malaga, making a total of 54 appearances in all competitions for the La Liga club, the full-back signed for Arsenal on the 31st of January this year for a reported fee of around £8.3 million.
Visit and Join our Facebook page, click HERE to do so.
Gunnersphere is currently looking for new writers to join the squad. Contact via twitter or at Gunnersphere@snack-media.com for further details.