linking Arsenal with a summer move for Montpelier defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, we thought it only fitting that we give you the low-down and some info on the player.
So here are 10 things you should know about Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
1. Born in Bangui, Central African Republic, Yanga-Mbiwa joined Montpellier in 2005 as a 16-year-old. He made his senior debut for the French club on the 23rd of February against Bastia, a game which they lost 1-0.
2. He signed his first professional contract with Montpellier in 2007, agreeing a three-year deal until 2010. He was officially promoted to the senior side shortly after and was assigned the number 3 shirt.
3. In his first full season a first-team player, Yanga-Mbiwa managed to make an impressive 41 appearances, 31 in the league and seven in the domestic cup competitions.
4. The 22-year-old centre-back was part of the Montpellier side which gained promotion to Ligue 1 in 2009. During that summer he signed a two-year extension to his contract.
5. On May 12th 2010, Yanga-Mbiwa extended his contract by a year, meaning he is out of contract at the end of next season’s campaign.
6. This season has been Yanga-Mbiwa’s sixth season at Montpellier. To this date, the Bangui-born defender has made a total of 187 appearances for the French side, netting four goals in the process.
Here is a video of the young defender in action:
7. Although his favoured position is in the centre of defence, the Montpellier captain boasts versatility and can play anywhere across the back-line, as well as an emergency defensive midfielder. He is also known for his pace, superb passing range and reading of the game.
8. In December 2011, the 6 foot defender expressed his desire to one day play in the Premier League, claiming it would ‘suit his style of play’ and describing it as ‘incredible’.
9. Along with Arsenal, Newcastle are believed to be interested in Yanga-Mbiwa, who is rated at around £7 million.
10. According to France-based sports journalist Matt Spiro, ‘Arsene Wenger is very keen on Yanga-Mbiwa’, while Montpellier ‘won’t stand in their captain’s way’ and believes there is a ‘good chance of a transfer happening’.
Like what you read? Then follow me on Twitter – http://twitter.com/Gunnersphere
Visit and Join our Facebook page, click HERE to do so.
Gunnersphere is currently looking for new writers to join the squad. Contact via twitter or at Gunnersphere@snack-media.com for further details.